- August 2015, Ph.D. student Mr. John Leidel presented a poster at the ModSim Workshop.
- August 2015, Congratulations to Dr. Jialin Liu for joining Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and congratulations to Dr. Yin Lu for joining Texas Tech University as a research faculty.
- June 2015, Congratulations to Yin Lu for receiving 2015 Summer Dissertation/Thesis Research Award!
- April 2015, Dr. Chen co-chairs The Eighth International Workshop on Parallel Programming Models and Systems Software for High-End Computing (P2S2) in conjunction with ICPP'15.
- March 2015, Masters students Mr. Soheil Mazaheri and Ms. Kalaranjani Vijayakumar defended thesis entitled “Cloud Benchmarking in Bare-Metal, Virtualized, and Containerized Execution Environments” and “Exploring In-memory HDF5 and Early Evaluations”, respectively. Congratulations to them!
- March 2015, Ph.D. student Jialin Liu successfully defended his dissertation entitled “Fast Data Analysis Framework for Scientific Big Data Applications”; Congratulations Dr. Liu!
- March 2015, Ph.D. student Yin Lu successfully defended his dissertation entitled “Towards Efficient Data Movement at Extreme Scale”; Congratulations Dr. Lu!
- January 2015, Welcome Dr. Jiang Zhou joining our group!
- December 2014, Dr. Dong Dai attended the NSFCloud Workshop on Experimental Support for Cloud Computing in Arlington, VA.
- November 2014, Dr. Dong Dai, Mr. Jialin Liu, Mr. John Leidel, Mr. Eric Valenzuela, and Dr. Chen attended the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC'14) conference in New Orleans. Dr. Dai successfully presented one study on two-choice randomized I/O scheduling (paper, presentation) at the SC'14 main conference and one study on rich metadata management (paper, presentation) at the PDSW'14 workshop. Mr. Valenzuela successfully presented an ACM SRC research poster on HPC multi-level dedup at the SC'14 main conference. Congratulations to them.
- November 2014, Dr. Chen chaired The Third International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS), a full-day workshop at the 2014 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'14) in New Orleans, with editing a Special Issue on Data-Intensive High Performance Computing with The International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications (IJHPCA).
- November 2014, Dr. Chen received Texas Tech University Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa Outstanding Faculty Recognition Award and Whitacre College of Engineering Research Award.
- October 2014, Mr. Jialin Liu, Dr. Dong Dai, and Dr. Chen attended the IEEE BigData'14 conference in Washington D.C. and successfully presented two research studies at the conference. Jialin was also a Doctoral Symposium attendee and presented his dissertation research at the conference.
- October 2014, Mr. Jialin Liu received an NSF travel grant for attending the IEEE BigData'14 conference - congratulations to him.
- August 2014, Mr. John Leidel organizes and chairs the The Third Annual Workshop on PGAS and Shared Memory Extensions for Heterogeneous Architectures (PGAS-X) that will be held in conjunction with PGAS 2014, the 8th International Conference on Partitioned Global Address Space Programming Models in Eugene, Oregon.
- June 2014, Dr. Chen received an award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to work on Compute on Data Path: Combating Data Movement in High Performance Computing.
- May 2014, Wei Xie received an NSF travel grant for attending CCGrid'14 - congratulations to him. Dr. Chen, Dr. Dong Dai and Mr. Wei Xie attended the CCGrid'14 conference in Chicago and presented two studies.
- April 2014, Jialin Liu and John Leidel received NSF-TCPP Travel Grant for attending IPDPS'14 and will present two studies at HPDIC and LSPP workshop, respectively.
- March 2014, Dr. Chen chairs The Third International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS), a full-day workshop that will be held at the 2014 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'14) in New Orleans.
- February 2014, Chao Chen received a Student Travel Grant from the FAST'14 - congratulations to him.
- November 2013, Yin Lu, Chao Chen, John Leidel, Greg Thorsness, and Dr. Chen attended the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC'13) conference in Denver, CO. We also successfully held the DISCS'13 workshop with co-organizers. Greg successfully presented an ACM SRC research poster.
- October 2013, Jialin Liu received a Student Travel Grant from the BigData'13 conference - congratulations to him. He and Dr. Chen attended the BigData'13 conference in San Jose, CA and presented four studies in data management, data analytics, and storage systems.
- September 2013, Dr. Chen and Jialin Liu attended the Cluster'13 conference in Indianapolis, IN and presented studies “Fast Data Analysis with Integrated Statistical Metadata in Scientific Datasets” and “Unified and Efficient HEC Storage System with a Working-Set based Reorganization Scheme”.
- August 2013, Dr. Chen received an award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to work on Development of a Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Instrument (DISCI) for High Performance Computing.
- June 2013, Yin Lu received a Student Travel Grant from the ICS'13 conference - congratulations to him. Dr. Chen and Yin Lu attended the ROSS'13 workshop and the ICS'13 conference in Eugene, OR., and presented studies “Memory-Conscious Collective I/O for Extreme Scale HPC Systems” and “Data Deduplication in a Hybrid Architecture for Improving Write Performance”.
- May 2013, Dr. Chen attended the 2013 IPDPS conference and EduPar'13 workshop in Boston, and presented a PDC curriculum early adoption effort (with co-PIs Drs. Yu Zhuang and Noe Lopez-Benitez) “Fall-11: Early Adoption of NSF/TCPP PDC Curriculum at Texas Tech University and Beyond”
- May 2013, Dr. Chen received an award from the DOE/Argonne National Lab to work on Active Object Storage for Big Data Applications in High Performance Computing
- April 2013, Ph.D. students Yin Lu, Chao Chen, and Jialin Liu will be taking summer intern researcher position at the DOE Argonne National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, respectively, for summer 2013. Masters student Shane Tarleton and Undergrad student Taylor Denison will be taking summer internships at USAA (Data Analysis and Visualization Research Laboratory) and National Instruments, respectively. Congratulations to them.
- March 2013, We will host a Planning Conference on May 29th and 30th for forming a Cloud and Autonomic Computing site at Texas Tech University. Please visit the CAC@TTU website for more details and consider registering and attending the conference via this registration site (free for all attendees!).
- March 2013, Dr. Chen will host The Second International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) as a full-day workshop on Monday Nov. 18th at the 2013 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'13) with collaborators in Denver.
- February 2013, We made a 5-node GPU cluster testbed (dual quad-core Intel Xeon E5-2660 processors and dual 512-core NVidia M2090 GPUs on each compute node with advanced SSD storage and Mellanox QDR InfiniBand interconnection) available with generous sponsorship from Dell Inc. and NVidia.
- November 2012, The TTU SCC Team led by Dr. Chen and Dr. James Abbott of HPCC with sponsorship from Dell Inc. and HPCC participated in the 48-hour straight Student Cluster Competition at the the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City. Several articles and videos covering the competition and team e.g. Video 1, Video 2, Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, … The team received an Exemplary Spirit Special Recognition.
- November 2012, Dr. Chen and Yin Lu attended the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City and presented one poster and one paper at the HPCDB12 workshop. Dr. Chen co-chaired the International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) co-located with SC12. The workshop program with papers and slides can be found from the DISCS workshop program page.
- September 2012, Dr. Chen co-chaired the Fifth International Workshop on Parallel Programming Models and Systems Software for High-End Computing (P2S2) and the panel titled “Battle of the Accelerator Stars”. A Geek.Net (the publisher of SourceForge and SlashDot) article about part of this panel discussions can be found from here.
- September 2012, Dr. Chen and Chao Chen attended The 41st International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP'12) in Pittsburgh and presented two studies “Dynamic Active Storage for High Performance I/O” and “Fast Data Analysis with Integrated Statistical Metadata in Scientific Datasets”.
- August 2012, Ph.D. student Junjie Chen received the prestigious AT&T Chancellor's Fellowship.
- July 2012, Dr. Chen initiated and will host The International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) at the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City.
- June 2012, Dr. Chen received an award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to work on Decoupled Execution Paradigm for Data-Intensive High-End Computing.
- June 2012, our paper entitled “A New Data Sieving Approach for High Performance I/O” received the Best Paper award at the 7th International Conference on Future Information Technology (FutureTech'12) in Vancouver, Canada. Ph.D. student Yin Lu attended the conference and presented the paper.
- May 2012, Dr. Chen led the Student Cluster Competition team and was selected as the finalist to compete at the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City. Our team received a generous sponsorship from Dell Inc.
- April 2012, Dr. Chen received the Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
- February 2012, Dr. Chen received a donation of two Tesla C2075 GPU boards and two GeForce GTX480 GPU boards from NVIDIA for research and education activities at TTU.
- February 2012, Congratulations to Yugendra for co-chairing the departmental U-Reason seminar.
- November 2011, Dr. Chen, Yugendra Guvvala, and Anupam Tambi attended the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'11) in Seattle, and presented a paper entitled “Towards Scalable I/O Architecture for Exascale Systems” at the MTAGS'11 workshop and two research posters ”Rethinking RAID for SSD based HPC Systems“ and ”A Comprehensive Benchmark Suite for Emerging Solid State Drives“ at SC'11.
- October 2011, Our paper entitled ”Towards Scalable I/O Architecture for Exascale Systems“ is accepted for presentation in the 4th Workshop on Many-Task Computing on Grids and Supercomputers (MTAGS), Co-located with the 23rd ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC’11) conference in Seattle, WA.
- August 2011, Yugendra Guvvala and Anupam Tambi were awarded student grants for attending the IEEE Cluster 2011 conference. Congratulations to them!
- August 2011, Our posters submissions ”Rethinking RAID for SSD based HPC Systems“ and ”A Comprehensive Benchmark Suite for Emerging Solid State Drives“ are accepted for presentation at the 23rd ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC’11) conference in Seattle, WA.
- August 2011, Anupam Tambi and Yugendra Guvvala attended the 2011 Open Science Grid Summer Workshop co-located with the CMS tire 3 Workshop at TTU, in Lubbock, TX.
- June 2011, Yin Lu attended the 20th International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC'11) conference co-located with the ACM FCRC'11 (Federated Computing Research Conference) in San Jose, CA.
- June 2011, Dr. Chen attended the Technical Program Committee meeting of the 23rd ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference 2011 (SC’11) in Seattle, WA.
- May 2011, Dr. Chen's co-authored paper entitled ”A Hybrid Shared-nothing/Shared-data Storage Scheme for Large-scale Data Processing“ was awarded the Best Paper of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (ISPA'11). Congratulations!
- May 2011, Yin Lu was awarded the 20th International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC'11) Student Travel Grant. Congratulations to Yin!
- May 2011, Dr. Chen attended the 25th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'11) in Anchorage, and presented a paper entitled ”LACIO: A New Layout-Aware Collective I/O Strategy for Parallel I/O Systems“.
- April 2011, Dr. Zhuang received the Whitacre Excellence in Research Award from the Whitacre College of Engineering. Also, Dr. Zhuang was awarded $95,700 by the National Science Foundation for a proposal entitled “Computer Simulation of Chemical Dynamics.” Congratulations!