The Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Laboratory (DISCL) at the Texas Tech University has broad research interests in parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing, Cloud computing, computer architectures and systems software with a focus on building scalable computing systems for data-intensive applications in high-performance scientific computing/high-end enterprise computing.
- June 2013, Yin Lu received a Student Travel Grant from the ICS'13 conference - congratulations to him. Dr. Chen and Yin Lu attended the ROSS'13 workshop and the ICS'13 conference in Eugene, OR., and presented studies “Memory-Conscious Collective I/O for Extreme Scale HPC Systems” and “Data Deduplication in a Hybrid Architecture for Improving Write Performance”.
- May 2013, Dr. Chen attended the 2013 IPDPS conference and EduPar'13 workshop in Boston, and presented a PDC curriculum early adoption effort (with co-PIs Drs. Yu Zhuang and Noe Lopez-Benitez) ”Fall-11: Early Adoption of NSF/TCPP PDC Curriculum at Texas Tech University and Beyond”
- May 2013, we received an award from the DOE/Argonne National Lab to work on Active Object Storage for Big Data Applications in High Performance Computing
- April 2013, Ph.D. students Yin Lu, Chao Chen, and Jialin Liu will be taking summer intern researcher position at the DOE Argonne National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, respectively, for summer 2013. Masters student Shane Tarleton and Undergrad student Taylor Denison will be taking summer internships at USAA (Data Analysis and Visualization Research Laboratory) and National Instruments, respectively. Congratulations to them.
- March 2013, we will host a Planning Conference on May 29th and 30th for forming a Cloud and Autonomic Computing site at Texas Tech University. Please visit the CAC@TTU website for more details and consider registering and attending the conference via this registration site (free for all attendees!).
- March 2013, we will host The Second International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) as a full-day workshop on Monday Nov. 18th at the 2013 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'13) in Denver.
- February 2013, We made a 5-node GPU cluster testbed (dual quad-core Intel Xeon E5-2660 processors and dual 512-core NVidia M2090 GPUs on each compute node with advanced SSD storage and Mellanox QDR InfiniBand interconnection) available with generous sponsorship from Dell Inc. and NVidia.
- November 2012, The TTU SCC Team led by Dr. Chen and Dr. James Abbott of HPCC with sponsorship from Dell Inc. and HPCC participated in the 48-hour straight Student Cluster Competition at the the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City. Several articles and videos covering the competition and team e.g. Video 1, Video 2, Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, ..