The Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Laboratory (DISCL) at the Texas Tech University has broad research interests in parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing, Cloud computing, computer architectures and systems software with a focus on building scalable computing systems for data-intensive applications in high-performance scientific computing/high-end enterprise computing.
- February 2014, Chao Chen received a Student Travel Grant from the FAST'14 - congratulations to him.
- November 2013, Yin Lu, Chao Chen, John Leidel, Greg Thorsness, and Dr. Chen attended the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC'13) conference in Denver, CO. We also successfully held the DISCS'13 workshop with co-organizers. Greg successfully presented an ACM SRC research poster.
- October 2013, Jialin Liu received a Student Travel Grant from the BigData'13 conference - congratulations to him. He and Dr. Chen attended the BigData'13 conference in San Jose, CA and presented four studies in data management, data analytics, and storage systems.
- September 2013, Dr. Chen and Jialin Liu attended the Cluster'13 conference in Indianapolis, IN and presented studies “Fast Data Analysis with Integrated Statistical Metadata in Scientific Datasets” and “Unified and Efficient HEC Storage System with a Working-Set based Reorganization Scheme”.
- August 2013, we received an award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to work on Development of a Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Instrument (DISCI) for High Performance Computing.
- June 2013, Yin Lu received a Student Travel Grant from the ICS'13 conference - congratulations to him. Dr. Chen and Yin Lu attended the ROSS'13 workshop and the ICS'13 conference in Eugene, OR., and presented studies “Memory-Conscious Collective I/O for Extreme Scale HPC Systems” and “Data Deduplication in a Hybrid Architecture for Improving Write Performance”.
- May 2013, Dr. Chen attended the 2013 IPDPS conference and EduPar'13 workshop in Boston, and presented a PDC curriculum early adoption effort (with co-PIs Drs. Yu Zhuang and Noe Lopez-Benitez) ”Fall-11: Early Adoption of NSF/TCPP PDC Curriculum at Texas Tech University and Beyond”
- May 2013, we received an award from the DOE/Argonne National Lab to work on Active Object Storage for Big Data Applications in High Performance Computing
- April 2013, Ph.D. students Yin Lu, Chao Chen, and Jialin Liu will be taking summer intern researcher position at the DOE Argonne National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, respectively, for summer 2013. Masters student Shane Tarleton and Undergrad student Taylor Denison will be taking summer internships at USAA (Data Analysis and Visualization Research Laboratory) and National Instruments, respectively. Congratulations to them.