The Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Laboratory (DISCL) at the Texas Tech University has broad research interests in parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing, Cloud computing, computer architectures and systems software with a focus on building scalable computing systems for data-intensive applications in high-performance scientific computing/high-end enterprise computing.
- April 2013, Ph.D. students Yin Lu, Chao Chen, and Jialin Liu will be taking summer intern researcher position at the DOE Argonne National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, respectively, for summer 2013. Masters student Shane Tarleton and Undergrad student Taylor Denison will be taking summer internships at USAA (Data Analysis and Visualization Research Laboratory) and National Instruments, respectively. Congratulations to them.
- March 2013, we will host a Planning Conference on May 29th and 30th for forming a Cloud and Autonomic Computing site at Texas Tech University. Please visit the CAC@TTU website for more details and consider registering and attending the conference via this registration site (free for all attendees!).
- March 2013, we will host The Second International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) as a full-day workshop on Monday Nov. 18th at the 2013 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'13) in Denver.
- February 2013, We made a 5-node GPU cluster testbed (dual quad-core Intel Xeon E5-2660 processors and dual 512-core NVidia M2090 GPUs on each compute node with advanced SSD storage and Mellanox QDR InfiniBand interconnection) available with generous sponsorship from Dell Inc. and NVidia.
- November 2012, The TTU SCC Team led by Dr. Chen and Dr. James Abbott of HPCC with sponsorship from Dell Inc. and HPCC participated in the 48-hour straight Student Cluster Competition at the the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City. Several articles and videos covering the competition and team e.g. Video 1, Video 2, Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, ..
- November 2012, Dr. Chen and Yin Lu attended the 2012 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'12) in Salt Lake City and presented one poster and one paper at the HPCDB12 workshop. Dr. Chen co-chaired the International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS) co-located with SC12. The workshop program with papers and slides can be found from the DISCS workshop program page.
- September 2012, Dr. Chen co-chaired the Fifth International Workshop on Parallel Programming Models and Systems Software for High-End Computing (P2S2) and the panel titled “Battle of the Accelerator Stars”. A Geek.Net (the publisher of SourceForge and SlashDot) article about part of this panel discussions can be found from here.
- September 2012, Dr. Chen and Chao Chen attended The 41st International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP'12) in Pittsburgh and presented two studies “Dynamic Active Storage for High Performance I/O” and “Fast Data Analysis with Integrated Statistical Metadata in Scientific Datasets”.